Backtracking

February 2008:
Cameras used: Panasonic HVX-200

DPed a short called "The Runner" written and directed by my friend, Matt. This shoot was quite fun and definitely a little exhausting. We shot most of the film on the highest hill at Griffith Park (which was a 45-minute hike up some pretty steep paths). The shoot went pretty smoothly, but I was fighting the light all day. Unfortunately we had to shoot guerilla-style so I didn't get a chance to put up anything to manipulate light.





Shot 26 episodes of Season 2 of Naturally Delicious (a vegetarian cooking show airing on the Veria network: Dish channel 9575).
It was my first time on a Chapman dolly and while at least one other camera op was eyeing my seat with jealousy, let me tell you, that seat gets as uncomfortable as anything when you're sitting on it for 10 hours a day for 3 weeks.
Overall, working on the dolly was great - it really encouraged me to think more creatively with my shots (mostly heroes of veggie food).









Shot 13 episodes of Season 2 of Bedside Manor (a conventional vs. alternative doctor debate show, also on the Veria network).
Again, I was the dolly camera op, but the new experience for me was working in a large studio space. There were definite pros and cons to the whole experience. Not having to contend with traffic or plane noise was a definite plus (something we had to stop roll for several times on Naturally Delicious). But on at least one occasion, we had a studio worker interrupt a shot (his phone went off during the debate portion of the show). But other than that, the experience went rather smoothly.
Working on Bedside wasn't quite as stimulating as the cooking show because for Bedside my camera was basically used as a backup and my "clydesdale" of a dolly grip spent the whole shoot pushing me back and forth from one side of the set to the other. He was a real trooper - shout out to Mike Law!






March 2008:
Cameras used: Panasonic HVX-200, Panasonic DVX-100B

ACed a short for a DP friend of mine, Ali. The short was called "Eleanora" and was a cute little story about an old man and his goldfish. I love working with Ali because he's a true carpenter at heart. He's always building lighting and camera rigs from very cheap materials. So it's always a great learning experience working with him. His most impressive piece for this shoot was a dolly made out of PVC and plywood. It worked perfectly.






DPed a short for my director friend, Joe. The film was one in a series of shorts all put to the music of movements in Mozart's Requiem. The movement we were covering was 00:01:44 so the shoot only took half a day. This was more run and gun, which is always a fun way to work (keeps me on my toes, visually). You can find out more about Joe's Requiem project here.

0 comments:


 

Copyright Melissa Vilardo.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.